It's January 2007 and the turning of a new year, which can be a very emotional time for some. The idea of another year ahead and one left behind. But if last year was not the best for you, try to look forward instead of back, no matter how hard that might seem to be...
Don't dwell on the negatives in your life when starting a new year, instead, look forward with a positive outlook and attitude-and most of all take one day at a time. Rosemary's lucky number is 7 and so perhaps 2007 WILL be a good year. However, remember that good years don't just happen. We have to put effort into making any year a good year, even when something difficult, or challenging arises.
I always remember my Mum telling me about a difficult period in her life when she was just as sad and down as she could possibly be. She would walk around with a bad attitude and a negative look on her face. Then one day she determined to change the way she was acting and perceiving her life and she plastered a smile on her face, even though it was hard and inside her heart was breaking, she wore that smile for all to see every single day. Her life was in pieces, but she would put a smile on her face and go out into the world. This continued for months, even years, with nobody knowing what pain she was in, at least no strangers on the street, only her true and trusted friends. Then one day I remember my Mum telling me that she suddenly found herself smiling voluntarily, with no effort and instead of feeling down inside she actually did feel happy. The smile on her face came naturally and she hadn't even realized when the change had occurred just that it had. She was actually happy and was smiling without having to force herself to do so. She had visualized it, worked on it and eventually, with perseverance and bloody mindedness she had changed herself and instead of pretending to be happy, she actually was.
So what can you do this year to make sure that you have a better year than all those before?
1) Doing a daily mantra is one way that you can will your life into a better place.
So pick a phrase a mantra and begin saying it every day.
2) Have a positive plan, an action plan. Write down all of the things you want and need this year and then put them somewhere that you'll be sure to see them every day. Write it down and make it happen by visualization
3) Spring cleaning. Get rid of all the unwanted possessions and people in your life that don't add anything positive to it. Take stock of who and what makes you happy and then take steps to weed out the things that don't.
4) Every time you catch yourself dwelling, or thinking about the negatives in your life, stop it. Easier said than done, right? So give your mind something else to concentrate on instead when something negative pops into your head. Sing your favorite song, recite your favorite poem, etc. Stop the negative and replace it with something positive
5) Like Rosemary did, force yourself to smile everyday--even if your heart is breaking.
After doing any, or all of the above for a few weeks, or months, come back to the site and visit our spotlight section and tell us about your experiences.
Talk with community members about your thoughts on this month's lesson, or write us an account of your progress. We'd love to post it in our spotlight section for everyone to read.
Good luck and be ready for next month's lesson...
For more lessons and insights check back next month and also see our "Weekly Actions," posted, every week here in Own Your Power. Try, too, Rosemary's book, "You Own the Power." for more lessons about owning your power. Get this book and other Books and tapes by Rosemary in our online store.
And again, don't forget to chat with others taking Rosemary's lessons in our Own Your Power, (lessons & insights) message board. Visit our community and compare notes, NOW.